Blog hits, Hillsong TV & Internship issues

I've been receiving a high number of hits on my post on Brugada Syndrome lately and I'm not sure why. Is there a Brugada conference happening at the moment? This makes me wish I had a more in depth piece of work to offer all of you but in truth all the post said was that I loved cardiology. oh well. After my exams I might try work on something to post up.

Anyway, I was at a Thai place today and it really reminded me of this Asian restaurant Duey and I visited when we were up at White Plains. I really miss New York and would love to be back there, though that would mean me leaving Hillsong TV which is a big deal to me.

We received our volunteer passes in the mail today and I'm so excited about it. I love the fact that I am going to be a part of conference and am glad I chose to do this despite it being final year in med school. I may never get to do this again.. depending on where I end up next year and knew I would regret it if I didn't volunteer with TV this year (I previously volunteered as a Host but there's nothing like serving with your own weekend team!).

Anyway, I wrote a really nice letter to appeal the South Australian decision to exclude me from their allocation and received a reply this morning. The Acting Chairperson said that he "truly hoped" I would receive an internship in Australia but would not be making an exception for me in South Australia.

I've had a few days to mull over this situation and initially there was some frustration at the stupidity of the whole situation. I was annoyed not so much at my exclusion (because I am not actually terribly concerned about my future) but because of the reason for which I was being excluded from the process. I then started to go down the indignant line of "give me a few years - they'll be sorry they didn't give me a chance" and "they're stupid for not seeing my potential" etc... All beside the point I know because they're making their decision based not on my ability but rather my current inability to explicitly meet one of their dot points.

Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. - Douglas Bader

But then today as I was passively mulling over it again I remembered the whole Jeremy Lin saga that unfolded in February - about how he had been excluded time and time again from scholarships, basketball teams in the universities of his choice, and then painfully enough, from the draft process (despite playing well against John Wall). I had watched many of his interviews on YouTube and in one of them he was asked if he felt resentful about being cut by the teams he had been a part of.

His reply really stood out to me because of the lack of bitterness that he displayed having been through such a difficult situation. He said that he didn't feel angry about it because although those teams had cut him, they had at least given him a chance - something the other teams hadn't even done. And after high school, although the colleges hadn't seen his 'potential' he said that back then he wasn't the player he was now. He was smaller, shorter, less skilled. He acknowledged that while the process may not have been completely fair, and that his ethnicity probably had some role in the decisions made at the time, that it hadn't been personal, and ultimately that everything had worked out according to God's perfect will.

Romans 8:28
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. 

That spoke to me. I don't know Jeremy but it's easier for me to take his word for it because he's been through a lot and has come out on top. That basketball means a lot to him, and him turning around and entrusting it to God makes me think that I can do it too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz