Charity in Australia is dead

I have been trying a new strategy recently of offering people things I no longer have use for, in exchange for a donation to a charity of my choice. It has been disappointing really - with people saying things like "oh great, it is for charity so I'm willing to give 50 cents per item" for a bag of cutlery, or giving me $20 for two 21 inch televisions! Australia is not a country that looks after its poor unless this is mandated by law. it is a country that masquarades as one that believes in "fair dinkum" when in reality, it is each man for himself, unless the govenment intervenes. I have never lived in a country (and I have lived in a few) where each individual is so much for themselves - even North Americans are more communal. When I volunteered at the hospital cafe which raises funds for the hospital foundation, the other workers at the cafe (who were paid) told me I should have better things to do with my time.

Being in Australia is eating away at my soul. I want to get out of here ASAP.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz