Culinary experience - Le Caprice

I felt I should write about this before I forget.. I went to Le Caprice today. It is a 'new american' restaurant located along 5th Avenue on the Upper East Side... given that the boss is in India doing important things I decided to try a weekday lunch - a luxury I haven't yet experienced in New York.

What can I say?

The food was excellent of course - though so rich that it is impossible to finish the meal without feeling a little sick (unless you have many hours to draw this out). I doggy-bagged the Main because the entree and dessert were sufficient in themselves and because I really couldn't take in the wonderful risotto on top of the creamy duck confit soup and decadent, impossibly rich chocolate cake.

Truth be told, I cannot fault the food itself - how can I when I know that to produce the meal I had today, one must have an incredible amount of skill. But the thing is, I don't like the taste of curry unless it's in authentic Indian curry. I don't like curry in Thai cuisine, Malaysian cuisine or any cuisine that isn't authentic Indian and I could definitely taste curry in the white bean, duck confit soup. When I order french food, heck any food, I don't expect to taste curry. And I don't want to.
I don't take pictures at restaurants but the soup it looked something like this!

The risotto was the best part of the meal. Good enough for me to doggy-bag to enjoy another time because I didn't think I would at Le Caprice itself. I'm not sure what sort of cheese was used, but I will find out. It wasn't the usual parmesam though.. it was one of those bries or something, which takes a bit longer to melt. That was lovely and very subtle.
Again, it wouldn't take much imagination to transform this into the risotto I had.
The dessert tasted of dark chocolate and I wouldn't say it was too sweet but it certainly was too rich and I couldn't even finish the small serving I received.

The bread that was sent to the table as soon as I was seated had olives in them - a nice touch, though the crust was wayy too hard to bite though which i consider a big flaw. The crackers that came with however, were very very lovely. The butter was nothing special.



The restaurant was conveniently located in Pierre Hotel, just across the road from Central Park. The interior, however nice, was too dim for my liking. I like reading when I dine alone, and I could not read comfortable here as I could at the Boathouse last week. It also felt unusually warm, not terribly so, but enough for me to notice. I was offered the newspaper twice because I was alone - once at the door and once by the maitre. That was a very nice touch which I appreciated though I had brought my own reading material.

The wait-staff and maitre were fantastic and made up for the two Southern women sitting at the table next to mine. I do wish I had been seated a little further as one kept on repeating in her Southern drawl that she was "so grateful for the things I have". By the third or forth time I felt like telling her that it was great that she had many things and that she was grateful but that she really didn't have to remind everyone so many times about them.

Would I recommend this restaurant to others? Well... probably not. I did not have a bad time there, but it wasn't a charming place. The food was too rich and the clientele too important for regular people. Next week I think I will return to the Boathouse.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz