Manhattan - Garage

New York is a city that grows on you. I have been here a week now and am getting acquainted with the more interesting parts of this city. Yesterday my new friends Pierre and Reinaldo took me out for brunch at Garage in the West Village. Apparently brunch is a 'very New York thing to do'.. except that brunch in New York lasts from 11AM to 3 in the afternoon! I quite liked the place - a live jazz band played on the ground floor and for $6/- you get 2 hours worth of alcohol (Mimosas, Screwdrivers, Bloody Marys or.. in my case, OJ). The food was good as well - I had a lobster sandwich while the boys had variants of egg.


We then strolled along the Hudson River which was a lovely break from all the steel and glass that makes up Manhattan. Reminded me of RK, a New Yorker I'd met in Sydney who had enthusiastically showed me on a map where he lived (facing the Hudson River). At the time I couldn't really appreciate the reasons behind his enthuasiasm.. after all, he was facing a little river and New Jersey, while in Sydney I faced the great ocean.. However, when you're in New York and this river is the only respite from the lovely but oft times overwhelming concrete jungle, you appreciate the space a bit more.

High line park - an old railway track that has been converted into an elevated park along the Hudson River.

On the home front, I have stocked a little pantry of spices and other staples that are essential for my happiness. Most of my monies has not come through yet so I have been living off a relatively small budget, given that I am attempting to set up a temporary home in Manhattan. I still need to pick up walking shoes because my feet are really starting to hurt, and various toiletries as I am currently living off the bag of hotel supplies that I brought over from Sydney. All these will come soon I hope.. and before you know it I will be packing up shop and leaving all over again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz