The Low Down - Manhattan


You know, for a trip as anticipated as this one I really don’t think I have anything substantial to say… yet. The thing is, life in America isn’t as comfortable as it is elsewhere. Perhaps it is because this is New York and New York isn’t supposed to be comfortable. But I’m not really sure why tourists visit Manhattan. It doesn't seem to be a city for tourists. Maybe I am just being sombre because I'm kinda on my own here. Life tastes better when it's shared.

I feel like I just haven’t really gotten my head around Manhattan yet so I’m going to give you a 1st impressions run-down in point form.

  1. Shops – there are thousands of shops here. And clothes can be quite cheap. Yesterday I spotted a pair of walking shoes that I’ve been thinking about for ages. It would have cost maybe $70 in Australia but was only $21 here. Shopping however seems to make up most of what there is to do in Manhattan but there aren't many shopping malls... it's mostly little shops so you have to realllly like shopping.
  2. Food carts – there are lots of food carts everywhere and when you're hungry the bacon and egg rolls smell heavenly.
  3. Food – I haven’t located any 'cheap' grocery chains yet. Like Woolworths in Australia and Fair Price in Singapore. I’m not sure if they exist. I wish I had better food but this is no different to my situation in Sydney. It would be nice if my mum were here to cook. I’m a food person. Not having a decent hot meal dampens my mood.
  4. Accommodation – I was very lucky in that over half my stay here will be at hospital-linked accommodation in an awesome location. Also, my room is huge, which is surprising since it is Manhattan. It’s bigger than my room in Sydney and is two streets from Central Park. It’s also one street from the subway station. However, I’ve begun to wonder about what I will do in February when I will no longer be living here.
  5. Transportation – you walk everywhere. I wish I had better shoes but my money hasn’t come through so I haven’t been able to buy anything substantial. The subway is fairly cheap. It’s a flat rate of $2.50 anywhere you go but during rush hour you don’t have to hold on to poles because you’re part of a giant human sandwich so you won’t fall over anyway. I got caught in rush hour yesterday. Don’t plan to do it again!
  6. Friends – I met up with Andrew on Tuesday and Daniel later that evening. That has probably been the highlight of my trip. I think I am becoming soft but people have definitely begun to mean more to me since starting university.

    I was thinking about some sitcoms I have watched that are supposed to be based in New York.. like F.R.I.E.N.D.S. It's starting to make more sense to me now. Manhattan would be a lot more fun if I lived with friends and got to spend my after-hours with people. The medical folk just work a lot but I think I will call Dan and see if he wants to hang out again some time.

  7. Theatre - another big reason to be in New York. This Friday I will be watching the Lion King with Andrew and his other friend from Google.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz