The End

A number of things have occured in the past year, that have reminded me to keep the right perspective on life. When I was in New York I remember telling Dr Fuster, that I wanted to be like him. I wanted a career like his, I wanted the impact he had. Those are all good things, but it's important to keep the right perspective.

Today I spoke with one of the older doctors. He looks like he might be in his 50s and he says he was a fully qualified surgeon back in his home country in the Middle East. However being in Australia has meant that he has been unable to work as a surgeon, and instead, has been working as a surgical registrar for over 10 years. When he finally decided to apply for registration, he was offered a contract by one of the hospitals here, only to have certain promises broken when he finally arrived. "When I got here, I was enthuasiastic. I did research. I loved surgery. But they have broken me." He said.

I offered him some words of consolation, but nothing to really justify the path his life had taken. "I'm sorry." I said. "Don't lose hope. Sometimes life is unfair."

I have seen some careers end so successfully, like Bryan's last year - a celebrated surgeon, well-loved by his friends and colleagues, with a loving family, a great job in the city. He died on the way to a surgical conference. He loved surgery too.

I have seen others, also successful, on an international level, who are probably close to the end of their careers.

And I have seen doctors like this one. Broken, angry, stiffled in his development as a doctor and a surgeon.

The thing they have in common, is the fact that they all end. Careers end and life ends. When I get to the end, I want it to be enough. I want to be satisfied. I want to be filled with joy. I want to have loved and to have been loved. We have not been given many years on earth and we need to be careful to spend the years we have wisely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz