Humility through confidence

Today's post comes again from 'The Doctor's Life Support 2' which I encourage you to pick up for yourself.


Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing and wrapped a towel round his waist... and began to wash his disciples' feet...' John 13: 3-5

After qualifying as a surgeon, my doctor wife and I set up a small medical clinic in a tribal area. Often tribals would come to me, put their foot up on a chair and say, 'Dress it.' After I had dressed their wound they would toss me a rupee coin and then leave. For some reason this would leave me feeling quite humiliated. How did Jesus wash the disciples' feet without feeling humiliated? As medical professionals we find it difficult to serve in ways that are humbling. How can we learn to 'wash feet', that is 'serve' without feeling hurt, but instead serve with joy? John 13: 3 helps.

Jesus knew that God had put all things into his hands. So we need to know that God has entrusted us with healing for his body, the Church. Jesus knew he had come from God. Our origins are from God, created by him for himself. Created in his image, not by accident but by design. Jesus knew he was going back to God. We have such a future also, one that none can take away. We will be co-heirs with Christ and enjoy uninterrupted relationship with God himself.

With such an attitide of mind, humiliation now in service to our fellow men will be a small price to pay. Just think. The crown of thorns, the nakedness, the ridicule and the crucifixion could not humiliate Jesus. He was too humble for that. So for us, the truly humble cannot be humiliated. (Contributed by VS)

Read: John 13:1-17; Romans 8:12-17



John 13: 12-16

"Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one anothers feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz