Reflection

When I was in first year I remember saying that I was there to make a patient better not be their best friend. It's funny when you look back and see how far you've come.. and indeed, how much you've changed. These days I spend most of my time actually seeing patients and as a final year student have the luxury of taking my time with them, letting them say what they want to say and not rushing them with my check list of things to make a diagnosis. I know it won't be this easy next year - 3 patients a day isn't going to cut it when I have actual responsibilities, but I think for me making the patient feel better, the hand holding, the reassuring... these days that is what makes medicine worthwhile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz