America

Reading the BBC, I am struck by the financial turmoil that appears to be hitting so many people out there - there are questions about Greece leaving the Eurozone and Spanish banks which are billions of euros in debt. It is so different in Australia, as I keep saying - we are isolated from the rest of the western world to the extent that you could likely be forgiven even if you were completely oblivious to the economic problems in other nations. It is unusually peaceful here and I often question my desire to leave because it may not be easy for me to return. I guess the problem is that I am still attracted by the exciting discoveries and inventions that are emerging from many US universities and research institutions. Things that are as 'simple' as the MIT-produced coating which when sprayed on the internal surface of glass bottles allows thick liquids like ketchup to slip over. Or the unusually successful companies like Apple and Facebook. I am attracted to the 'human spirit' behind organisations like Habitat for Humanity and Doctors without Borders that continue to work towards the betterment of mankind. I am attracted to America you see. I am attracted to the indominatible force that drives that country. The never say die attitude. The refusal to rest on their laurels or be comfortable. It isn't as comfortable, but it is so incredibly intoxicating.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz