On Sin and Justification and Forgiveness

Last night I was pondering over the notion of sin. We have all sinned - against God, against our friends, our family, our spouses. I thought back to some of my own transgressions and wondered if they would be held against me by God or by my fellow Christians.

Romans chapter 4 speaks of how Abraham was justified by faith and not by law. Romans 5 goes on to extend this gift of forgiveness to the rest of us who believe in Christ. However, I suppose as people we are not as forgiving as our Father in Heaven, so perhaps my fellow man will not be as quick to let go of my past. Nonetheless, on my part, if I am trying to be more like God, then I myself must learn to forgive. And in the same way, I must have hope that my brothers and sisters in Christ are also on the same journey.
Romans 5
1. Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. 
3. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character, and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 
16. Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man's (Adam's) sin: The judgement followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification. 
18. Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous
20. The law was brought in so that the trespass might increase. But where sin increased, grace increased all the more, so that, just as sin reigned in death, so also grace might reign through righteousness to bring eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
I know that Man's forgiveness will never be as complete as God's. I know that I have taken a long time to forgive sins that were not even committed (directly) against me. But I also have faith that when it comes to the ones who truly matter, the ones who you would hope are trying to be people after God's own heart, that they will be more likely to show grace and forgiveness.

Peace out, S.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz