Pride

I feel bad. Today I told a friend that I had been short listed for two of the three hospitals I interviewed at. I told him because a part of my ego was getting kinda hurt by his constant talk of how amazing this person and that person was and indirectly how mediocre I was. I have been made to feel mediocre by many of my peers in Australia for quite a number of years. Perhaps that is how they really see me (perhaps that is what I am) but it is a far cry from how I felt and was made to feel of myself in Singapore.

But I feel bad because what I did, was done out of pride. I did it as a not so subtle boast because my ego got bruised. I didn't do it to build anyone up at all.


James 4:6 says


6 ... That is why Scripture says:
“God opposes the proud
    but shows favor to the humble.”[a]


At the end of the day, it shouldn't matter how others see me. All that matters is how God sees me. In fact, the less Man sees in me the better, because then my achievements will instead point them to God.

The problem with pride, is that we forget that all good things come from the Lord. We forget that most of the time what we have received is through His Grace, rather than because of our ability. And even if what we have achieved is through ability, it is an ability that He has gifted us with.

Psalms 10:4 says
"In his pride the wicked man does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God."
I thank God for the opportunity to see my flaw for what it is so that I might work on it to become a person more after His own heart. I will leave you (and myself) with three challenges:

1) What is that thing in your life that you are most proud of?
- it could be a physical feature, or a job, or an award you have received.

2) Think about what you have done to achieve this thing in your life and the circumstances that had to occur to allow you to achieve it.
- for example, if you are most proud of your partner, you would have needed to be in the right place at the right time to meet them, you would both need to be at a particular stage of life such that you would end up getting involved. Or if you are most proud of your job, you might have needed to make it into a particular school or meet a particular person or have a particular mentor

3) Thank God for His grace and try to go through your day being appreciative of what you have been given!

That's all for today! Hope you have a fabulous week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brugada Syndrome

Connecting the dots

Life Zzzzzzzzzzzz